Friday, July 11, 2014

When Things Get Tough, Build Your "Attitude of Gratitude"

Family!                                                     July 7, 2014

Another transfer has gone by and…I only have four more left ... wow! I feel like it was just yesterday that I came out to Florida. It's exciting to think back on all the amazing experiences that I have had and really how much I have grown. Missions are the best!!!! 

This past week was super stressful and really tiring so I'm glad it's over with! haha! Due to the fourth of July holiday, a lot of our appointments fell through and not many people were receptive to talking to us. In addition, we had training sessions in Zone Training Meetings, and had to schedule in all of our exchanges among our already super crazy schedule for this next transfer... BUT...my District Leader, Elder Forrest is very inspired and suggested that I read Elder Uchtdorf's talk entitled, “Gratitude in Every Circumstance” from this past General Conference. I loved it! It was a great reminder to me that we have so much to be grateful for no matter what trials and struggles we might be having in the moment. Instead of being grateful for THINGS ... we will be blessed if we have an "attitude of gratitude" IN OUR CIRCUMSTANCES. Our stresses and sorrows of life will be eased and replaced with peace, patience and understanding in God's timing. I'm excited for this next week and for the things that are in store. Please pray that my new companion, Sister Thompson, and I will have the energy to do it all! We are doing 3 exchanges alone this week...which means that we will be doing something every night for exchanges. Ah! It's going to be crazy! But, I know that as I work hard, have an “attitude of gratitude” for the callings and situations that I am in, and have faith that the Lord will help us...We will see miracles! I can't wait to be able to tell you all about how it goes next week!

I was asked to give a training session last week in our Zone Training Meeting on some changes that have been made in Preach My Gospel! It was kind of exciting to teach!  Missionaries will now be teaching all FIVE lessons to investigators before they are baptized and are also in charge of ensuring that those five lessons are taught after baptism as well. It was kind of funny telling the zone. "Preach My Gospel is so inspired!! (Except for these few lines that we are now changing!" hahaha Just kidding.) I am so grateful for continued revelation and that the Lord knows what’s best for us. I feel excited knowing that this change has been made so that we can better prepare our investigators for being members. It will help them see what truly is expected of being a member of the church and what will help them continue to progress after baptism. It helps them see that baptism is just the beginning of how we come unto Christ and that there are so many amazing things beyond baptism and by being a member of Christ's church. The Lord is really sifting out those that are prepared and who will continue to help His church and gospel grow. :) So exciting! 

For the Fourth of July we were not able to be on top of the temple to see the fireworks like we did last year so last year was the one year that we were given the opportunity to do it. I'm counting my lucky stars for last year and hoping that the zone in this area was able to! This year was just as great though! We went to the Herzog family’s home. They have an AWESOME view from their 7th floor apartment overlooking Universal, Disney, Sea World and TONS of other resorts shooting fireworks off directly across from their apartment balcony. We were in the best location ever. There were literally fireworks SURROUNDING every side, in a big circle, around the apartment. Cool huh? It was fun!! 

Funny story that happened that night... so I can't remember if I told you this already or not... but Elder Mckay Jensen (who went to Woods Cross) and Elder Forrest are the elders that share the ward with us. They were also at Herzogs at the 4th of July party. We were all out on the balcony watching fireworks and someone closed the glass door to the balcony... and Elder Forrest didn't notice and totally smacked his face on the window trying to walk in. I think he was a little embarrassed so I didn't laugh too much... but oh man.

Speaking of fellow missionaries that are from Woods Cross... we have so many that are out here and WILL be out here (Cami Horrocks!!) Sister Taylor (can't remember her first name) was serving in Australia and just got reassigned to our mission! She is serving in the Winter Garden ward now so I'll be with her next week :) She was in the jazz band, if that rings any bells... So cool! 

Anyway, I'm excited for this next week and what it has to offer. I hope that you are all doing well. Remember... when things get hard, don't let your “attitude of gratitude” diminish!! Keep it burning bright! You will be so much happier! :) :) I love you all!! 

Love, 


Sister Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment