Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Bikes, Tender Mercies, Temple and Pressing Forward in Faith!

Family!                                                              July 28, 2014

It's been another hard working week here in Olympia! We are seeing tiny signs of progress in the area.... lot's of small tender mercies from the Lord. I think the lesson that I have learned the most this transfer is putting my trust in the Lord and continuing to work with joy and faith in my heart even when times are tough!!

Last Tuesday I went on exchanges to the Windy Ridge Spanish area with Hermana Brooks.... I love that girl!!!! We had a really solid day! The crazy thing that happened that day was as we were on our bikes it began to POUR, but that's nothing new here in Florida ;)…so we looked AWESOME…sopping wet, trying to talk to people!!! Hahaha! People seriously think we are crazy when we come knock on their door in the pouring rain. It's great! We saw this family that was sitting out under their patio awning, watching the storm, so we parked our bikes at the front of the driveway and went up and talked to them. As we were talking with them, Hermana Brooks all of a sudden stopped paying attention to the man that we were talking to. I had a feeling to end the conversation, so I ended it quickly and we walked back over to our bikes. Hermana Brooks had seen a WHITE VAN (ah! haha! Yes! A white van!) pull up directly across from the driveway where our bikes were. As we grabbed our bikes, the guy turned his van, backed up and drove away...and on the back of the van was this big rack with multiple bikes that had just been thrown on the back of it!!! We ALMOST lost our bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy moment. Hahahaha! Super glad that I didn't lose Hermana Monson's bike; that would have been bad! Funny story now though!

I also went on exchanges with my trainee, Sister Bracken!! It was soooo great to be back with her. We saw many, many miracles that day. I just love working with her! :)

The missionaries went through the temple this past week!!! It was so neat to be with my zone. Another crazy story though... there was an elder in our session that has been in the hospital this past week because of kidney stones. All of a sudden the temple workers had to stop the session in the middle of it because he was going to throw up... :( :( :(  I felt so bad for him!!!! Even though we had a unique sessions, It was a really neat experience to return to the temple though. I love the temple so much and the peace and spirit that it brings. I'm so grateful for the restored truths that we have so that we can learn and come closer to our Father :)

After the temple, a senior couple took Sis. Thompson and I and the Spanish sisters out to breakfast. Sister Thompson and I ended up with food poisoning. I’ve never experienced that before and NEVER want to again!!!!! We are totally fine now... but oooooh man…we were sick! Haha! It hit us both at like the same time. :( Not fun...

I've learned to have trust in God's will, faith in His timing, and continuing to move forward in faith. It was a good week to be reminded of the faithful pioneers that crossed the plains. They had so many trials and so much heartache. My trials and challenges come nowhere close to theirs’. I have always loved the song, "Come, Come Ye Saints." They were in such hard circumstances but they knew that God had them in the palm of His hands. They had such amazing attitudes!!! "All is well, All is well!!"

It is such a humbling experience to know that God has trusted and chosen ME to do this great work. As we read in 1 Corinthians 1:27,
“But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty.”

This past week, I have felt very humbled for the hard circumstances that we are in, but I'm soooo grateful that I know that "all things are possible through Christ which strengtheneth me." I was reading Moses 6:31-32 this week. Enoch was very humbled by the calling that the Lord had put upon him.
“31. And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?

“32. And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.

It was a great reminder to me of the full trust that God has for each person that He calls to do His work. As Alma states, "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things."

Got to go... I love you!


Sister Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment