Monday, August 4, 2014

Marvin, Interviews w/ President and FINDINGS!

Family!
This past week was a lot of meetings but we were able to see some neat things.
Monday: We taught a second lesson to Marvin. Marvin is super cool and LOVES the Book of Mormon! He has studied all kinds of religions but this is the first time that he has felt that things are getting tied together and making sense :) It's been so neat to see the spirit teach him and testify that the things that we teach are true. After teaching him, we were doing some finding in his apartment complex and met this lady that told us about a spiritual experience she had when she was 12. She had somehow ended up in a coma and while she was in her coma had this dream of a man standing underneath a tree beckoning people to come to him.. and next to the tree was a river...!!! As she went forward to the tree she felt the love of God and then came out of her coma and turned her life to God.... Sister Thompson and I were wide eyed as she was describing her dream as if she was telling us about Lehi's vision of the tree of life in 1 Nephi 8!!! It was sooo crazy. We pulled up a picture of the tree of life on our nice little Ipads and read some versus from chapter 8 showing her the vision....... sadly.. she thought it was neat but wasn't interested in learning more... which totally blew my mind! but! Everyone has their agency and I know that it was a good seed planter :) It was a miracle to both Sister Thompson and I!
Tuesday: I had interviews with the President and told him about my worries about the area not progressing the way I hoped it would and he gave me the most comforting words! I just love President Berry :) He reminded me that it's all in God's timing and in His own way and that I have such a sacred calling of helping the other sisters within my zone. It was a good reminder to me of how truly blessed I am to be able to help the sisters here in the FOM. It might be hard and really exhausting at times.. but what an honor that God would trust me to help these special and elect daughters of God. President said that sometimes the service that we render, love that we show and impact that we leave on others is not put on paper like a baptismal date... but it's much greater! I may not know all the things (big or small) that I am doing in my area and for these sisters but one day I will :) It helped me a lot of hear that from President and to remind myself of how truly blessed I am.
Thursday: We had MLC! Elder Flood is not an AP with Elder Patten and they are awesome! We talked about finding... even in the most awkward of situations and role played it!!! It was so fun.. but sooo AWKWARD! loved it!! haha! Sister Thompson and I are making our days more fun by looking for all people that we can talk to ... and laughing through the awkward moments ;) As missionaries, we are awkward all the time... so might as well embrace the awkwardness for another 4 months! hahaha!
Saturday: We had temple tours in the morning... and the Deland stake was having their temple day!!!!! So... I got to see many New Smyrna Beach people!! I was talking with some ladies in the ward when all of a sudden... Joel and Krystal Dayton came walking up to the temple!!! Ah! I almost burst out in tears with happiness seeing both of them!! It was so reassuring and made me so happy to see that Krystal was doing so well.... I asked her, "How are you doing?!" and she said," Well... I'm here aren't I??" :) hahaha They are so beautiful and love them so much. They are still planning on me having them at their sealing in the Salt Lake temple April 2 next year :) :) I just felt that God knew I was working hard and wanted to give me a little gift and tender mercy for my efforts by letting me see and talk to Krystal :)
Sunday: It was a great spiritually filled day at church! The funniest thing happened during Relief Society Meeting... Sister Swasey was teaching the lesson on "Home: a House of Learning"... and all of a sudden she is telling the whole Relief Society the story of me teaching the Plan of Salvation to that Japanese journalist that came and stayed with us during the Salt Lake Winter Olympics.... haha! Thank you, Mom and Dad, for sharing all my stories to Sister Swasey when you had lunch with her... ;) at least they were all good stories because I swear the whole ward now knows all about me! haha! Honestly, I have had members left and right bring of stories that you told Sister Swasey that I totally forgot about hahaha I was pretty red in the face for the rest of the lesson.. but all is well :)
I don't have much time left to write... but I do want to mention that for some reason this week... I have just gained such a great respect and gratitude for Joseph Smith. He went through sooo much so that we could have this gospel. I feel like the trials in my missionary work are nothing compared to the trials that Joseph went through.. and even more so.. all that Christ went through as they faithfully served their missions. Whatever our missions to the Lord are... they may not be easy... but I know that it's worth it. I'm so grateful for all those that have come before me and their example of faith and love toward God. They may not have seen the impact that it had for the world at the time... but it's made a world of difference to us all now. :) I'm so grateful for this opportunity that I have to serve the Lord and others around me. I love this gospel!
I love you!!!
-Sister Kirkham 

P.s....14 months... what?

No comments:

Post a Comment